Notre Dame Classics Club Certamen Invitational.
Luther Prep Places 1st Intermediate Division
Latin, Classics, and Notre Dame University. This past weekend (Feb 8-9, 2019), Prof. Phetsanghane brought 4 carefully-culled Prep students to the Notre Dame Classics Club Certamen Invitational 2019, held on the Notre Dame University campus in South Bend, IN. The Prep students were:
- Ethan Cloute (Optimus)
- Josiah Koelpin (Rex)
- Camden Sulzle (Ruber Puer)
- Nathan Wildauer (Alius)
This was Luther Prep’s first year attending this event. Luther Prep joined 5 other high schools from Wisconsin, Indiana, and Michigan for this competition. There were a total of 17 teams from these 5 schools.
The Certamen Invitational consisted of 4 students per team. Teams were placed into 3 divisions—novice, intermediate, and upper—determined by the amount of Latin the students have taken. For each division, there were three preliminary rounds. (Per round, there were 20 toss up questions, followed by 1 bonus question for the team that correctly answered the toss up question). The top 3 teams in each division made it to the finals round, in which the victors received a trophy.
The Luther Prep team competed in the Intermediate division, made it to the finals round, and won 1st place! (For a frame of reference, 2 of the teams in the Intermediate division at this competition, had just placed 1st and 2nd in the Hoosier Certamen Invitational, Intermediate division. The Hoosier Certamen Invitational is open to all the high schools in Indiana that teach Latin, Greek, and the Classics.)
The trip’s Chronicler, Josiah Koelpin, also had these highlights from the trip:
- Rock band on the trip down was interesting.
- Meeting Jake Plocher, a WELS member studying at Notre Dame was cool. He showed us around the campus and got us food at 1 AM from the Taco Bell on the campus.
- Seeing Latin everywhere on the Notre Dame campus just brought a tear to Prof. Phetsanghane’s eye every time.
- Who knew that the Basilica on the Notre Dame campus had pieces of the actual cross?!
- Alius sure loved reading that mythology book.
- It was good that Optimus knew a lot the answers.
- Cum Optimus questionem recte respondisset, Alius ei dixit, “Amo te!” Tunc Optimus dixit, “Ame se quoque.”
- Puella ab alia schola Alii petivit, “Qui sunt tui numeri?” Alius respondit ei nihil.
- That celebratory meal at Fogo de Chao just made winning more savory.
We thank the Lord for giving such many and varied gifts to these students! We also thank our Lord for giving these students such an opportunity that provides a well-rounded education, full of life experiences - a truly classical education!