Luther Preparatory School is a four year secondary school owned and
operated by the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod. It offers a
challenging college preparatory curriculum in grades 9-12 to students
who are considering the full time pastoral or teaching ministry as
their life’s work.
Luther Preparatory School is the oldest Lutheran high school in the
United States. It traces its history to its founding on this campus in
1865 as the prep department of Northwestern College. The prep
department was given its own identity in 1974 as Northwestern
Preparatory School. Luther Prep today is the result of a merger of
Northwestern Preparatory School of Watertown, Wisconsin, and Martin
Luther Preparatory School of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. Martin
Luther Preparatory School had been established in 1979 when Martin
Luther Academy was moved from its original home on the campus of Dr.
Martin Luther College in New Ulm, Minnesota, and when Northwestern
Lutheran Academy in Mobridge, South Dakota, was closed.
Luther Preparatory School is the successor school to those prep
schools which have preceded it and can readily claim the heritage and
history of these schools as its own.